THE AINSDALE BOWLING CLUB
CONSTITUTION AND RULES
• 1 The club shall be called ‘The Ainsdale Bowling Club’ (the club), being a sports section of the Ainsdale Club (the Main Club).
• 2 The objects of the club shall be to encourage and develop the game of bowls, and to provide adequate facilities for Crown Green Bowling.
• 3 Membership and Junior membership shall be open to all persons whose application is duly proposed by a member of the club and endorsed by two other members. Election of candidates for membership shall be by a simple majority vote of the Management Committee whose decision shall be final. After acceptance by the club, applicants must be approved by the Main Club.
• 4 The club subscription and any joining fee for new members will be decided by the Management Committee.
• 5 The Officers of the club shall consist of a President, Chairperson, Vice-Chairperson, Secretary, Treasurer and Ladies Captain.
• 6 The club shall be governed by a Management Committee consisting of the Officers of the club and a Green Manager and a representative to the Main Club Management Committee.
• 7 The Chairperson’s term of office shall be for one year commencing at the Annual General Meeting. The Vice-Chairperson, who shall be elected annually at the Annual General Meeting, shall succeed the Chairperson. The position of Chairperson shall alternate annually between the Men’s section and the Ladies section. The remainder of the Committee, with the exception of the President, shall retire annually and shall be eligible for re-election. Each retiring Chairperson shall be an ex-officio member of the Committee for one year following retirement from that office.
• 8 A committee of the Ladies section shall consist of a Lady Captain, Secretary and Treasurer together with an elected committee. The constitution of this committee will be decided by the Ladies sub-section.
• 9 The Secretary and Treasurer of the Ladies sub-section shall report their receipt and expenditure affairs to the Club Secretary and Club Treasurer as required by the Management Committee.
• 10 If any member of the Management Committee fails to attend two consecutive committee meetings without tendering an apology, they may be asked to resign from the committee.
• 11 If any member of the Management Committee resigns during the year, the Management Committee shall have the power to fill the vacancy.
• 12 The Management Committee shall meet as required. A quorum shall consist of 5 members of which at least 3 must be Officers.
• 13.1 The men league delegates shall be elected by the men league bowlers at a meeting to be held before the start of the bowling season.
• 13.2 The lady league delegates shall be elected by the lady league bowlers at a meeting to be held before the start of the bowling season.
• 14 The Annual General Meeting (AGM) of the club shall be held in November each year. Written notice shall be given to members at least 28 days beforehand. Any propositions for the AGM must be received in writing by the Secretary at least 14 days before the AGM and be duly seconded.
• 15 An Extraordinary General Meeting (EGM) may be called by the Secretary, at the request of the Chairperson, or by resolution of the Management Committee, or at the written request of a member supported by the signatures of at least 25 other members, stating the reason for requesting such a meeting.
• 16 Junior members (defined as members under 18 years) shall have no vote at AGM’s or EGM’s.
• 17 Annual subscriptions shall be paid by the date stipulated by the Main Club and the Management Committee. Any member who has not paid their subscription by the due date shall be ineligible for team selection and will not be allowed to play in any competition, or have free use of the green, or serve on any committee.
• 18 The Club domestic competitions shall be run by a sub-committee on dates arranged by the Management Committee. On these dates the green shall be reserved exclusively for the use of those members participating in the competition. Individual handicaps shall be assessed by the Handicap committee. All tournament scratch times and rules must be strictly adhered to.
• 19 Club trophies are the property of the Club and cannot be won outright. All holders are responsible for their safe keeping and their return on the date decided by the Management Committee.
• 20 Any bowling teams representing the Club in any league or competition should be responsible for paying their own fees (as a matter of expediency, the Club may sometimes pay these fees and then claim them back from the teams). No greenage will be charged by the Club. The distribution of any prize monies gained shall be decided by the team or teams involved.
• 21 All members of the Club are expected to keep the Club premises in a clean and tidy condition. All work on the Club premises is entirely voluntary.
• 22 Visitors can only play on the green if accompanied by a fully paid up member and on payment of the fee set annually by the Management Committee.
• 23 All complaints regarding the behaviour of members should be submitted in writing to the Secretary. A sub committee will meet to hear complaints within 7 days of a complaint being lodged. The committee has the power to take appropriate disciplinary action including termination of membership. The outcome of a disciplinary hearing should be notified in writing to the person(s) who lodged the complaint and the member(s) against whom the complaint was made within 7 days of the hearing. There will be the right of appeal to the Management Committee following disciplinary action being announced. The Management Committee should consider the appeal within 7 days of the Secretary receiving the appeal.
• 24 A resolution to dissolve the Club can only be passed at an AGM or EGM through a majority vote of the members. In the event of dissolution, any assets of the Club that remain will become the property of the Main Club.
• 25 In the event of any point of principle arising which is not provided for in these rules, the Management Committee shall have the power to resolve the problem as it sees fit, pending the decision of the members at an AGM or EGM.
• 26 If any question or dispute shall arise as to the meaning of these rules, unless concerning the Main Club, the findings of the Management Committee shall be final and conclusive.
• 27 Proposals for the alteration of any of these rules must be forwarded in writing to the Secretary at least 14 days before an AGM or EGM. A two thirds majority vote is required to ratify such changes.
• 28 Equity Statement. This Club is committed to ensuring that equity is incorporated across all aspects of its development. In doing so, it acknowledges and adopts the Sport England definition of sports equity: –
• Sports equity is about fairness in sport, equality of access, recognising inequalities and taking steps to address them. It is about changing the culture and structure of sport to ensure it becomes equally accessible to everyone in society. The Club respects the rights, dignity and worth of every person and will treat everyone equally within the context of their sport, regardless of age, ability, gender, race, ethnicity, religious belief, sexuality or social/economic status. The Club is committed to everyone having the right to enjoy their sport in an environment free from threat of intimidation, harassment and abuse. All club members have a responsibility to oppose discriminatory behaviour and promote equality of opportunity. The Club will deal with any incidence of discriminatory behaviour seriously, according to club disciplinary procedures.
• Ainsdale Bowling Club is committed to promoting a safe environment in which children and vulnerable adults can enjoy taking part in games of bowls. It will seek to underpin and ensure this commitment by following and promoting the joint Child and Adults at Risk Policy and Procedures of the National Governing Bodies.
• (See Appendix 1 and 2 attached)
ABC Constitution and Rules ( Revised November AGM 2018)