MINUTES 4TH MARCH 2021
ABC COMMITTEE MEETING (held on Zoom) 10am, Tuesday 23rd March 2021
Trevor Dyson (Chair), Brian Kneale (Vice Chair), Val Cole, Vera McGee,
Sanny McCarter, Ged Walmsley, Len Adams.
Margaret Jacques (President), Ed Tennant.
The minutes of 4th March 2021 approved and signed by LA on behalf of the Chairman.
MATTERS ARISING None
MAIN CLUB REPORT
• Bowls report approved and recorded. Sports levy to remain at £40 for current year.
• TD expressed the need to inform bowls members of the facilities offered by the Main Club and to encourage more use of the bar and lounge.
• GW reported c £2.5k balance with little expense since the last meeting.
• £100 working float restored and pads bought for defib.
• Mowers have been taken for servicing.
• Leatherjackets still a problem, AC to give granular treatment.
• Moss has been treated, Mike B has carried out a verti-cut in two directions and green is now in good condition.
• Electric checks and works complete, paid for by Main Club. Certificate retained for record purposes. Further works required in future to bring up to full standard.
MEMBERSHIP Nothing to report.
• No up-to-date information but further BCGBA guidance expected before the end of the month.
• Agreed Ainsdale green will be opened to members from Sun. 4th April. No formal opening ceremony. BCGBA Phase 2 guidelines to apply pending further guidance.
• Clubhouse and toilets to remain closed for now.
• Paul Harris had offered to provide a commercial disinfection service of the toilet areas at no cost to the club. This in conjunction with a weekly cleaner might be an acceptable solution to restoring club facilities at the earliest opportunity.
• It was thought there may be some resistance to cleaning being carried out by ladies members as it had previously been.
VC & VMc agreed to explore possibility of employing a cleaner for an hour’s work on a weekly basis. Details to be reported to the next meeting.
• SMc offered to organise various competitions as he did last year.
• GW reported that subs had remained at 2019 level for 10years. Current budget predictions suggested that to keep the same for 2021 the club would just about balance at the end of this year but with very little to spare.
• It was agreed that an increase was inevitable but if increased this year after members had supported through last year might result in loss of members.
• SMc proposed a motion to increase the subs by £5 to cover the Covid expenses. This was deferred for the present time.
CLUB ENTRANCE GATE
• TD advised of an offer received to replace the gates into the green with new gates having a glass viewing panel. It was thought this may help to attract new members.
• SMc reported a ‘Big Bowls Week-End’ initiative by the BCGBA. He had registered an interest on behalf of ABC.
• GW reported the Ormskirk League preparing to commence league comps from mid-May, playing just 3 blocks on the green to comply with guidance and probably only 8 member teams. Suggestion also made for clubs to consider a 6.30pm start time.
• GW suggested that in view of the difficulty in recruiting sufficient men to play in this league and as it is a mixed league, Ainsdale ladies could be invited to join in order to supplement the team numbers. This to be referred to the men’s Captains.
• GW reported that for personal reasons John Davis was no longer able to fulfil this duty. VMcG agreed to take this on board for next season.
LADIES SOCIAL EVENTS
• VC & VMcG expressed the need for a small sub-committee to arrange future ladies events and agreed to discuss this with other ladies members.
Date of next meeting: 10am Tuesday 13th April 2021.